We've all had our fair share of days that just can't end soon enough. Waiting for weekends that seem impossibly far away. Unsure what will best relax your nerves at the end of the day: a run, a drink, a cupcake or some combination of all three.
These cupcakes pack two of the tried and true stress remedies in a teeny bite-sized package. Perfect!
Makes 24 minis or 12 regular cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line muffin tin with cupcake liners
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and lime zest and set aside for about 5 minutes
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside
- In another large bowl, beat together butter and zesty sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes
- Add the egg, vanilla and rum, and beat until combined
- With mixer on low speed alternate between adding flour mixture, apple sauce, and mint, and mix until just combined
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake until a rich golden brown, 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean
- Remove from oven, let cool in the pan slightly then place the cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting
Mint and Lime Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, very finely chopped
- Beat butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy, about 1 minute
- In batches, gradually add confectioner's sugar, and beat until well blended and the consistency is smooth and somewhat stiff, about 3 minutes
- Add lime juice, zest and finely chopped mint leaves and beat well to combine
- Add to the frosting and beat until combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes and refrigerate any leftover frosting in a small bowl covered with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap — I have another recipe coming that pairs well with it!
Happy Baking and Happy Tuesday...
The weekend is just around the corner! Need it to come faster? Make these cupcakes!