|After climbing the Great Wall of China|
Since my last post in early May, I have traveled to 5 very new and exciting countries, packed up all my belongings to move yet again to a new apartment — this time for a full year — and then proceeded to move loads and loads of heavy things up two flights of stairs to make this apartment a place to call home.
Somewhere between battling jet lag, returning to my fast-paced work environment and moving to my new home, I did find time to bake… once. Twice if you count the first failed attempt… but I don’t.
Last weekend, as I was first beginning to move things into my new digs, I thought it would be fun to make a batch of treats so my new roommate and I would have something to reward ourselves with after carrying all our belongings up so many stairs.
However, after a week of work, I was too tired to bake. After a day of moving things, I was too tired to bake. Anxious to avoid starting a trend, I set out to bake some mini muffins last Sunday, and man was that a good idea!
I know I said I failed with my first batch — I attempted to make some gluten-free banana muffins that decided not to rise or set in the oven. As the edges were beginning to burn, the innards would just not cook, and I ended up pulling a batch of doughy mildly banana-flavored blobs out of the oven. With batch number 2, I tried a somewhat less ambitious approach, but one that was still every bit as delicious and rewarding!
I whipped up a bunch of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins made with Greek yogurt — adapted from a recipe I found while killing time at the airport. Delicious, simple, light and fluffy — these muffins REALLY hit the spot and made a splash at the office!
Apologies again (but not really) — I forgot to photograph these muffins until I spent the night at my friend’s apartment with a container of gifts at hand, but no camera. Instagram to the rescue! I snapped this picture with my phone:
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins (recipe adapted from Zestuous)
Makes 30-40 mini muffins
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups flou
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs and yogurt and mix until combined
- Slowly add flour and baking soda, mixing until incorporated
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Scoop into prepared mini muffin pan
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until tops just begin to brown
To make up for my long hiatus, I promise to bake and share delicious recipes in the upcoming months — there will be:
- Chinese-inspired desserts
- Southeast Asian-inspired desserts (Thai, Cambodian, and Laotian)
- Homemade versions and adaptations of some of my favorite cookies and treats
- Plenty of recipes incorporating fresh fruits and farmers' market favorites
- More fun stuff as it occurs to me!
Til then, thanks for your patience and happy baking!