...The only trouble was, I didn't actually have the means to bake a cake.
True, I could have just run out to buy the things I needed: ingredients, a cake pan, a hand-held electric mixer... but, the cost of all that would have added up pretty quickly.
Instead, I ran to the corner to buy four items: a bag of marshmallows, a box of Rice Krispies, a box of yellow cake mix, and a small container or rainbow sprinkles. Voila! These things plus butter (already in my house) were all I needed to whip up a batch of Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats!
In the grocery store (corner shop at the edge of the North End), I realized a crucial err of judgement on my part: I was buying all the ingredients, but I didn't have any place to spread out the mixture — usually, Rice Krsipies Treats are made in a cake or brownie pan.
Lucky I'm a quick problem solver! An extra-large tupperware container easily doubled as a makeshift cake pan. (And, as I was thinking of possible solutions, I came up with another idea or two that I'll try out soon enough.) 'Til then...
Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats (recipe adapted from Just a Pinch Recipe Club):
Makes about 2 dozen squares
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/3 cup dry cake mix
- A LOT of sprinkles (about 2 ounces)
- Melt butter over low heat in a large pot
- Add marshmallows and stir as they melt, mixing in cake mix slowly
- Remove from heat and add cereal, mixing until completely coated with marshmallow mixture
- Add half of your sprinkles and mix into mixture
- Using a greased spoon, spread Rice Krispies mixture into a greased pan or large tupperware container (or whatever else you can get your hands on)
- Sprinkle with remaining sprinkles and cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving
YUM! Happy Baking!