Tailgating is one of the biggest things to look forward to every football season for its chaotic pre-game fun every Saturday starting around 9 AM and leading up to the moments just before kickoff when everyone walks to the stadium in a joyful clump.
A typical morning for me would generally start around 8 AM when I'd creep downstairs and the only other early riser and I would brew a pot of coffee and blast the house with the Michigan fight song. We'd then bang down our other roommates' doors and insist that everyone get up and get dressed — no time to lose!
After enjoying a mimosa or a screwdriver at our house, we'd all head to our first stop — usually just across the street to our other friends' house and begin our all-day party.
One Saturday, our friends' tailgate received an unexpected guest.
Captain Morgan drove up and spent about a half hour posing for pictures and hanging out with us.
His truck became a second place to play, as well.
When I noticed two very spotted bananas on my counter last week, I thought of cupcakes, and I thought of rum. Why not?
These Banana Rum Cupcakes were simple to make and spiked with just enough Captain Morgan Spiced Rum..
Banana Rum Cupcakes (adapted from allrecipes.com)
Makes 9 cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add egg, vanilla, banana, buttermilk, and mix well
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture until all incorporated
- Add rum and mix again for just a moment
- Distribute batter evenly among lined muffin pan
- Bake for about 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
Rum Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Cream butter and 1 cup powdered sugar
- Add milk and rum
- Add up to 1/2 cup more powdered sugar until desired consistency achieved
For an extra kick of flavor, I squeezed a little bit of butterscotch ganache (leftover from the Butterbeer Cupcakes) into the center of the cupcakes before frosting. Highly recommended!
Enjoy, Happy Baking, and Go Blue!