In July, I discovered the Weight Stigma Blog Carnival and pledged to post three times over three months to do my part in raising awareness about weight stigma.
During my layover in Memphis, I wandered around the hudson bookstore scanning book titles — a favorite airport pastime of mine. I was a bit disturbed by the prominent book display marked "Hudson Recommends." Book titles included:
- The Skinny Rules: The 101 Secrets Every Skinny Girl Knows.
- Lose 21 Pounds in 21 days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox
- Master Your Metabolism
- Restaurant Calorie Counter for Dummies
- Flat Abs Now
- Burn 33% more fat: Even whileyou sleep
- Cheat, drink, and still shrink
- Melt 12 lbs in 28 days! Without hunger
- Slimming Secrets
- The number one way to erase 8 pounds
- How to drop 10 lbs in 30 days
- 15 minute fat blaster
Now, I don't have a perfect body, but I don't have a bad one either. I know I'm at a healthy weight for my height and I know I eat mostly healthy foods (sweet tooth aside), but finding myself surrounded by articles about how to shed weight and manage your diet still takes a toll on me.